Celebrate frigid weather with a bowl of chili featuring local ingredients.
Ingredients¼ C olive oil
(These ingredients can be found at Greenstar, the Ithaca Farmers Market, and Garden Gate Delivery.)
1) In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat until the onion is translucent and almost caramelized, about ten minutes.
2) Add garlic, turnips, carrot, and beet. Continue cooking over medium heat for ten minutes.
3) Add beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and oregano. Simmer, covered, for at least one hour (or until beans are tender, add more water if desired).
4) Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt and grated cheese. Enjoy!
*If you’re using canned beans, add them for the last 20 minutes of cooking so that they don’t become mushy.
Mini Hearty Biscuits
Ingredients1 C whole wheat bread flour from Farmer Ground Flour, Newfield
Special equipment: mini-muffin pan
1) Pre-heat oven to 425F and grease mini-muffin tin
2) In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
3) Stir in grated cheddar cheese.
4) Add heavy cream and whole milk.
5) Stir until just combined.
6) Fill muffin tin (be careful not to overfill).
7) Bake at 425F for about 15 minutes.
8) Use a knife to loosen biscuits before removing from pan.
Makes 24 min-muffins.