Thursday, August 26, 2010

Monster zucchini? A couple ideas to tame the beast



When I returned home from running errands one day, I found a monster zucchini on my doorstep.  I hadn't grown any myself, and my neighbor asked if I'd like a huge one from her garden.  I said yes, not realizing that the thing would be the size of a... caveman club.

I accepted the challenge.  Here's what I made for dinner:

Stuffed Monster Zucchini
I cut the thing in half, then sliced it in half the long way and scooped out the seeds.  Then I made a filling: I mixed leftover sauteed ground beef and onions with a beaten egg, bread crumbs, corn cut off the cob, lots of parmesan cheese, and generous amounts of black pepper. I put the filling in the zuc and baked it all at 400F for about 40 minutes.  We served it with roasted potatoes.  Yum!

Zuke Feta Patties
I haven't tried this, but the folks at IthaCan (Tompkins County's home food preservers network) are getting together to make Zuke Feta Patties and freeze them for later use.  Sounds like a fantastic recipe and a great homemade convenience food.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment